The Time Party believe that the current state of our prison system is a national emergency.
To this effect, and with utmost urgency, we will engage with prison unions, reform groups, engaged businesses and relevant charities to collectively pave a way forward, with the following goals in-mind:
- A safe working environment for all staff.
- A substantial reduction in the high rates of self-harm and suicide.
- Increased support for prisoners with addiction or mental health issues.
- Improved opportunities for and effective deliverance of rehabilitation.
- A substantial reduction in re-offending rates with enhanced education and training programmes.
We plan to:
- Increase the number of Prison Officers by at least 3,000 with priority given to ex-MOD personnel on completion of their military service.
- Replace the early release scheme (whereby sentences are halved automatically) with a scheme linked to behavioural standards and successful participation in rehabilitative programmes.
- Offer tax incentives to a wide range of businesses who agree to train and employ suitable ex-convicts.